Are you looking for a comprehensive guide to the health benefits of Surya Namaskar? In this article, I will provide you with everything you need to know about this ancient practice, including the benefits of Surya Namaskar, its history, benefits, and how to do it correctly. We will also give you some tips on how to get the most out of your experience. Read on to learn more!
The Sun is the supreme source of light, energy, and life, so we pray to the Sun by Surya Namaskar, which is also known as Sun Salutation, and it is one of the most commonly practiced postures in yoga today. In fact, you’ve probably done them before without even realizing it! Surya Namaskar Yoga poses are quite easy to learn, but as with anything worth doing, they require practice in order to get the most out of them. Here are some steps to help you get started and reap the benefits of Surya Namaskar yoga if you can do them correctly.
- What is Surya Namaskar?
- The Spiritual Benefits of Surya Namaskar
- What are the benefits of Surya Namaskar?
- How to perform Surya Namaskar?
- How many Surya Namaskar do you need to do?
- What happens if you do Surya Namaskar every day?
- What happens if I do 100 Surya Namaskars daily?
- Can Surya Namaskar reduce belly fat?
What is Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar is a type of yoga that is performed in a series of twelve yoga poses that are in sequential order. It is said that Surya Namaskar Yoga is the heart of all yoga.
Surya Namaskar yoga poses are meant to be performed in a slow, controlled manner and are often done as a form of meditation.
The name Surya Namaskar comes from the Sanskrit words “Surya” (sun) and “namaskar” (salutation), which together mean “Sun Salutation.”
Surya Namaskar is said to be a complete workout for the body, as it tones and strengthens all the muscles. It is also said to be beneficial for the mind and spirit, as it helps to focus the mind and promotes a sense of inner peace.
The Spiritual Benefits of Surya Namaskar
Surya Namaskar and the Body
Surya Namaskar Yoga Benefits you to improve flexibility, build strength, and increase stamina. It is also said that Surya Namaskar improves blood circulation, digestion, and energy levels.
Surya Namaskar and the Mind
Regular practice of Surya Namaskar yoga benefits you in calming the mind and preparing the body for meditation.
Surya Namaskar and the Spirit
When you do Surya Namaskar, you are not just exercising your body, but you are also connecting with the spirit. The sun is a symbol of the divine, and by saluting it each morning, you are paying homage to the source of all life.
What are the benefits of Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar is one such exercise that eliminates many diseases from your body and helps you to overcome many physical and mental health issues. The best part of this is you can perform Surya Namaskar anywhere, anytime, and any number of times.
Surya Namaskar has 12 types of exercises in one chakra (round), in one Surya Namaskar, there are 12 chakras, due to which the whole body gets exercised. This is the only yoga asana that stretches the whole body.
Let us now discuss how Surya Namaskar Yoga benefits us:
- If you do Surya Namaskar, then your spine and back pain will be cured, because due to Surya Namaskar your spine and waist will be stretched, and by performing it every day, your body pain gradually goes away.
- If your digestive system does not work properly and you have had a problem with it for a long time and you are tired of seeing a doctor, then you should take the help of Surya Namaskar. You will notice unbelievable results, and Surya Namaskar improves your digestive system, for which you will not have to spend money all you need to do is spend 2 minutes performing one chakra.
- The third most important benefit of Surya Namaskar is that by doing Surya Namaskar, one gets rid of diseases like piles. Regularly practicing Surya Namaskar asana, will cure your piles disease, which even doctors cannot cure.
- By doing Surya Namaskar, your memory power increases, you develop incredible concentration, and Surya Namaskar improves your focus, and you will have more control over your mind and thoughts. Doing Surya Namaskar makes you feel fresh.
- If I talk about the further benefits of Surya Namaskar, it is that blood pressure and diabetes remain under control and the risk of heart attack is reduced because blood circulation continues in the body regularly and, due to the whole body being stretched, your body keeps getting good blood flow, which in turn reduces the risk of a heart attack.
- The sixth benefit of Surya Namaskar asana is it makes your body stronger, your stamina is increased, your ability to fight disease is increased incredibly, and your energy level for doing daily activities is increased.
- Surya Namaskar for weight loss: The most important benefit of Surya Namaskar asana is, that it helps you in reducing your weight, especially belly fat. Every day your calories are burnt, muscles are stretched, the digestive system is good, due to which the food is digested well, and you don’t gain extra fat, by practicing Surya Namaskar on regular basis you will start reducing weight.
- Those who lean or bend forward while they stand or walk should perform Surya Namaskar asana, gradually their posture will improve.
- The bones get stronger and the body gets plenty of vitamin D from Surya Namaskar because when you perform these exercises, the body’s ability to absorb vitamin C increases, which makes your bones get extra strong.
- If talk about the benefits of Surya Namaskar for women, women often have to go through a lot of physical problems. If women were doing Surya Namaskar, then Surya Namaskar is no less than a boon for them. Due to Surya namaskar, your skin gets a very good amount of oxygen from which cells do not die, you keep looking beautiful and all kinds of internal problems of women go away.
- Last but not least, in this list, a very important benefit of Surya Namaskar is that it prevents hair loss. Surya Namaskar improves blood circulation and supplies ample blood to the head which nourishes your scalp and improves hair growth.
How to perform Surya Namaskar?
The Surya Namaskar asanas are performed in a slow, fluid, and mindful manner, with the breath guiding the movement. The sun salutation is an excellent way to warm up the body before a yoga practice, or it can be performed as a standalone practice. It is a great way to start the day, as it invokes the energy of the sun.
- To perform the sun salutation, begin in a straight standing pose.
- Breathe in and lift your arms overhead.
3. Then fold forward while breathing out and place your palms on the ground.
4. Inhale and step or jump back into a plank position
5.. From there, lower down into chaturanga dandasana, or the low push-up position.
6. Inhale and press back up to plank, then exhale and jump or step through to the top of your mat, coming into a downward-facing dog.
7. From a downward-facing dog, inhale and lift your right leg up, then exhale and step or jump through to the front of your mat, coming into a lunge.
- Sweep your arms overhead while you breathe in; as you breathe out, fold forward and place your palms on the floor.
- Inhale and step or jump back to plank position, then exhale and lower down into chaturanga.
- Inhale and press back up to plank, then exhale and jump or step through to the top of your mat, coming into a downward facing dog.
- Repeat this sequence on the left side, then inhale and step or jump through to the front of your mat, coming into a standing position.
- Exhale and fold forward, then inhale and sweep your arms up overhead.
- Exhale and release your arms back down to your sides, coming back to a straight standing pose at the top of your mat.
How many Surya Namaskar do you need to do?
You might be wondering how many Surya Namaskar you need to do to see results. The answer is that it depends on your goal. If your goal is to lose weight, then my answer is to perform Surya Namaskar for weight loss, I suggest you do more reps and regular exercise of Surya Namaskar. Often, 100 Surya Namaskars a day is a good idea. If you are new and starting for the first time, then I advise you to practice with smaller numbers like 3 to 5 reps, and, as you get used to this exercise, you can increase your reps to 10 to 12.
What happens if you do Surya Namaskar every day?
If you perform this exercise every day, you will see a number of benefits of Surya Namaskar.
First, you will increase your flexibility and range of motion.
Second, you will improve your cardiovascular health.
Third, you will strengthen your muscles.
Fourth, you will improve your posture.
Fifth, you will increase your energy levels.
Sixth, you will improve your mental well-being.
Finally, you will detoxify your body.
What happens if I do 100 Surya Namaskars daily?
It is not recommended that someone try to complete 100 Surya Namaskar, or sun salutations, per day for a beginner or someone who has been practicing for less than 6 months. If you are able to commit to doing them every day, make sure that you do not overwork yourself or take it easy if there is pain involved.
Can Surya Namaskar reduce belly fat?
Yes! Any exercise can reduce belly fat by burning calories and building muscle, but it’s important not only how many times per week you’re doing sun salutations but also what type of diet and exercise routine will accompany them. Remember, consistency is the key!
There are a few precautions to take when doing Surya Namaskar. First, it is important to warm up the body before doing this yoga practice. Stretching and gentle movements will help to prepare the body for the more intense movements of Surya Namaskar. Second, be sure to listen to your body and move slowly and mindfully through the poses. If you feel any pain or discomfort, stop and rest. Third, be sure to drink plenty of water before and after your practice to stay hydrated.